What are the Benefits of Pregnancy Massage?
• Tranquil relaxation and reduce stress.
• Relief from muscle cramps, spasms, and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs.
• Increase in blood and lymph circulation, which can reduce swelling.
• Reduces stress on weight-bearing joints.
• Improves outcome of labor and eases labor pain.
• Enhances the pliability of skin and underlying tissues.
• Provides support for the new mother with physical and emotional strains of mothering.
How are Pregnancy Massages Different than “Regular” Massages?
Massage during pregnancy differs from a regular massage in a couple of ways. The biggest way it differs is that the person receiving the Massage is pregnant, and therefore knowledge of pregnancy and the anatomy of a pregnant woman are very important. This means that positioning during a massage is critical to the safety and well-being of both the mother and the baby she is carrying.
Who Benefits from Pregnancy Massage?
Massage is beneficial for almost everyone. Even women carrying multiples babies can benefit greatly from massage. There may be certain conditions that may or may not be related to the pregnancy that would preclude massage or certain types of massage. This may include women at risk for preterm labor, women with blood clots or clotting disorders, and other ailments. Many therapists recommend that you have a written notice from your doctor or midwife before receiving massage therapy during pregnancy. Massage done during the first trimester is generally up to the therapist, the woman and her practitioner.